- Business ,
By Design Grant – Up to £5,000
Will CraigOctober 2015
The design of your website will make or break its performance. Good design will drive conversions and maximise profits; poor design will alienate customers and waste traffic.
A study from Stanford University found over 70 percent of people made judgements about a company’s credibility based solely on their website design.
Simply put, design is incredibly important.
So if you want to look the part, you’ve got to devote time and money to making sure your products and services look great and feel fantastic.
However, we know that designers and design consultants don’t come cheap.
Thankfully, there are some ways to ease the financial burden. One of these is the By Design grant offered through Scottish Enterprise which is provided to allow businesses to improve their products, processes or services.
What’s on offer?
The By Design grant is offered to help businesses develop new products, processes or services or to help improve the design of current products processes or services. Successful applicants can receive between £2,000 and £5,000 towards the project’s costs.
The By Design grant covers such a huge range of uses that Scottish Enterprise has actually provided a full list of accepted uses on their website.
- Design a new product or service or improve the design of existing products or services
- Hire a designer to help improve your business processes
- Updated branding and packaging as part of a larger innovation project, however this must not make up the whole of the project
- External research providing information on customer needs and wants
- Hire an expert to help write a design brief or prepare a design blueprint
- Develop a more user-friendly approach to new product development
- Hire an expert to help your business use design more effectively
- Expert advice and feasibility studies
- Designing and developing a website, as long as the website is part of a project
If you are unsure about whether your proposed project will be accepted, email [email protected] and they will be able to give you thumbs up or thumbs down.
Who is eligible?
The By Design grant covers quite a lot of projects but there are a few eligibility criteria. To claim under the scheme, your business must tick the following boxes.
- Your business must be registered in Scotland
- You must be looking to develop new products or services
- You must be able to contribute up to 25 percent of the cost
- You must be able to demonstrate benefits of the projects
- You must be VAT registered
Unfortunately there are also some exclusion criteria, although none are hugely surprising. If any of the following apply to your business, you will not be able to claim.
- You have received funding from a public body for the proposed project
- You are a Scottish Enterprise account-managed company
- You are a Business Gateway Growth Pipeline company
- You have previously claimed the By Design or Make it to Market grant
Do you need design help?
It’s tricky to know whether or not your business could benefit from extra design work. For example, when we redeveloped the website of our sister company Glasgoweb, we thought it was perfect.
It was a huge improvement over our old version. It was clean, modern, responsive and the imagery was drop dead gorgeous. If you asked our team whether there was anything to improve, we’d have given you a funny look.
However, it was only when we submitted our site for user testing that the problems with the website became obvious. The unexplained abbreviations, the unintuitively arranged menu, the distracting pockets of colour. It was only through someone else’s eyes that we could objectively see what needed improving.
We see company after company in a similar position to us. They have a great website but their team is too close to pick out the very final tweaks. To help you along, we’re offering a free video review of your website conducted by a professional website tester. Click below to get started.
How can Digital Impact help?
We love seeing our web development clients smiling when we show them the first glimpse of their designs, we love seeing the conversions ticking over when it goes live and we love hearing the nice things their customers say about them.
In short, we love great design and the benefits it brings.
So when someone hands you a cheque and tells you to sharpen up the look and feel of your business, there’s only one place you should go.
With a whole design department we can offer a range of services, including consultation, branding and website design. We’re even offering a free consultation on your future projects to help you get started.
Will CraigManaging Director
Like all great entrepreneurs, Will has two key driving qualities: an inexhaustible energy supply and a motivation to do better than everyone else. Having worked in every corner of the industry, Will leads Digital Impact with truly unique perspective.
Similar Blog Posts
How We Match Your Website Design With Your Target Audience
When companies go to high profile digital agencies, they often want a state-of-the-art website with...Read More
30 Days Of Social Media Content For Financial Services
Filling your social media hopper with enough fodder is seriously tricky. On one hand, you want to...Read More